Some Frequently Asked Questions
Why do we have to have a registered installer?
- It is part of the national health and safety act, therefore a legal requirement.
- A registered installer is the only person who can issue a certificates of compliance.
- It is for your own safety. Would you get a plumber to do you electrical work?
Why do we need a certificate of compliance?
- Compliance is needed for your insurance. In the case of a fire, a non-compliant installation would void your insurance.
- It is needed when selling your house.
What are the costs?
- For a typical installation comprising stove to regulator with change over valve (for two cylinders), 5 meter of pipe, valves, all fittings, setting flame and issuing a certificate of compliance, typically costs approximately R2000. (Gas and cylinders are not included.)
Where can we put the cylinders? Some simple rules:
- 1 meter from the door, 1 meter from a window
- 2 meters from a open drain, 5 meters from an electrical source
- 2 meters from a air-condition inlet
- This is a basic guide only, a registered installer will help with cylinder placement.